Saturday, August 6

bits and pieces

I’ve always had this crazy wish to have a gay best bud. You know, like Penelope Cruz’s flamboyant drag queen best friend in Woman on Top, although maybe not that screaming a fag. I’m thinking more along the lines of Will in Will and Grace. But sadly, that’s not meant to be. Most of the guys I’m close to are straight (or gays who have no intention of coming out of their closets), and I’m actually scared shitless of gays. Chalk that up to a really terrifying experience with fags back in high school. The funny thing is, I do have a gay best bud now, although not the type I had in mind. Lesbians, after all, are considered gay, right?

***

Can somebody tell me what’s the deal with Catcher in the Rye? Why does everybody seem to be moved by this novel and I’m just weirded out? Holden and his story just didn’t “kill” me, if you get what I mean. I was so disappointed upon reaching the end of the book and immediately wished I bought something else. I just don’t get Salinger’s point. Is there some profound meaning I have yet to fathom, or did I just get a “pirated” copy (from National Bookstore?!)? I’m tempted to read it again, but I’m afraid I’ll just be wasting my time.

***

Speaking of books, can you guys recommend anything for me? I’m thinking of reading Isabel Allende’s Eva Luna, Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Of Love and Other Demons (it’s about forbidden love. Perfect for me, don’t you think?), Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles (Vol. 2, and then move on to Mayfair Witches), Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart, Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Color Purple (ahem, Lorie :P), Five People You Meet in Heaven, and Sophie’s World.

And then there’s the lure of classics: Dante’s Divine Comedy, Doctor Zhivago, stuff by Charles Dickens and Shakespeare, etc. Whew. What a hodgepodge. Yep, I’m dedicating my entire life to reading books, books and more books. I wish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis.

pmv