Friday, May 13

Beauty Madness

I bought the latest edition of Preview Magazine a week ago. And I just finished marking the cosmetic products I like. Not that I could afford them. I mean, a lip gloss for a thousand bucks? Eye shadow for three thousand? Even if they’re from Shu Uemura, their prices are pretty extravagant. (Besides, maybe I don’t need eye shadow. The area around my eyes are dark, so people sometimes ask me if I’m wearing make up. Concealer na lang siguro. *hint hint*) On the other hand, I don’t think I could afford even the cheaper products. *sigh* Being unemployed sucks. I couldn’t even shell out a few hundred bucks for my vanity.

Wait up. This is not just vanity. I need to look good during job interviews and stuff. As my mother told me a couple of days ago, after staring at my face intently, “Anak, magpaganda ka!” so that my chances of getting hired would go up. This got me thinking, do I have the face that even a mother couldn’t love? *sob!*

Anyway, make up can indeed do wonders. I was one of the usherettes in a Mother’s Day dinner-concert that my parents took part in organizing. Of course, I had to spruce myself up a bit, so I aside from a nice blouse and a pair of slacks, I also wore make up (which I got from my oh-so-generous aunt). As you know, Kalibo is a small town, so most of the people know everybody else. One of the guests I was accompanying was a family acquaintance, and she stopped by mother’s table to chat. The guest told my mother, “Maganda pala itong anak mo!” She [the guest] added that she didn’t recognize me (and *ahem* my beauty) at first because she always saw me in jeans and loose shirts. Later, when I recounted to Ica what happened, she teasingly said, “That’s just a little dolling up. Imagine what a little more can do!” *sigh* it’s nice to be appreciated once in a while. Especially if that once in a while comes after a long long while.

And, as Tita Lynne, another family friend, said, at least it wasn’t, “Ay, akala ko maganda ka; pangit ka pala!”

No comments: