Monday, July 10

I'm so sad I can't even watch the replay

“Amelie was just too good today,”

Justine Henin-Hardenne was gracious in her defeat in the 2006 Wimbledon Finals by Amelie Mauresmo, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Darn. I was unfortunately right in thinking that Justine ought to win in straight sets, otherwise, she’ll have a hard time getting the third. So sayang. She played exceptionally well during the first set; her best so far in the tournament, if the commentator is to be believed. But then Mauresmo gained momentum in the second set (probably because her fans kept shouting “Go, Amelie!” to boost her confidence) and Justine was already tired from playing almost nonstop since the French Open, so Mauresmo won.

Tough luck. First runner-up again. Tsk tsk. She must be very disappointed, especially because she piled up so many unforced errors. Oh, well. There’s always next year, right? But she better improve her forehand! I mean, Mauresmo knew Justine’s backhand is deadly, so she kept forcing Justine to use her not-so-spectacular forehand. Granted, Justine had a lot of forehand winners in that match, but then again some of her crucial unforced errors were due to her faulty forehand.

Dammit. I’m feeling depressed for her. I think I’m gonna be listless for several days, just like the time when I finished reading HP6. I just feel so f*cking helpless and disappointed. She was so damn close to winning the title. I guess this is why I’ve never been a big sports fan, because it’s so frustrating to see your player/team lose after such a stellar performance.

(What makes me feel even more frustrated is that the runner-up doesn’t get to triumphantly climb the bleachers to reach her coach and family at the end of the match. I so want to know how she and her husband would react. Would they just hug, or would they actually kiss? I mean, they’re married, after all. Haha, showbiz ba? :P)

But look on the bright side, HH fans. The Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam title that has eluded her so far, so she won’t stop playing until she wins that. Ergo, she won’t be retiring soon. That would give me time to save enough money to travel to London and watch Justine play in the Wimbledon. Yay! Hehe. Libre lang naman mangarap, di ba?

No comments: