Thursday, March 9

Have you seen McDonald’s McJelly commercial? The girl eating McJelly is so pretty and she looks like an angel. Truly an eye candy. Or, if the advertising people had their way, an eye McJelly.

I think the commercial was shot in McDo Katipunan. It’s a pity I wasn’t there. I might have been able to catch them shooting, and stared at the girl for as long as I want.


***

I was supposed to tell you to tune in to StarWorld this week because they’re airing reruns of Friends Season 10 every 7:30pm. But, alas, it’s too late. They aired the season (and show) finale last Monday night.

It was so bitin! First of all, I was under the impression that the show would last until Friday because in their farewell interview with Oprah (which they aired during the Friends timeslot last Thursday and Friday), they kept saying “This is the final week.” So I was anticipating a whole week of Friends. I even set an alarm in my cellphone to ring at 7:15 pm from Monday to Friday to remind me to “watch Friends in StarWorld.” So imagine my surprise at the end of the show when I realized I had just watched the last two episodes (they aired double episodes that night).

Second, I would never see how Monica and Chandler struggle through parenthood. I mean, it’s kinda unfair because they were the first couple to actually get married on the show itself and we never get to see them with kids of their own. Well, Ross and Rachel did get married in Las Vegas, but they were drunk and had to divorce later, so they don’t count. (And Ross’s other marriages don’t count, too. Like, duh.) I mean, we got to see Rachel as a single mom to Emma, so why didn’t the writers let Monica and Chandler adopt sooner? Why did they have to wait for nine months to get their baby and not go to an orphanage or adopt an Asian kid instead?

Third, the other episodes were kinda slow and didn’t add much to the whole story or the characters. They just showed ordinary things in the Friends’ lives (with a funny twist, of course). But in the last episodes, there were a lot of big changes in their lives that I can’t help but think “Boy, that was fast.”

In their interview with Oprah, the writers said that they wanted the audience to see that the Friends were going to be all right. I find it strange that their idea of “all right” is settling down and raising a family. I guess I’m in a stage in my life where getting married and having kids aren’t in my priorities.

Anyway, I was expecting a very funny, if not the funniest, episode, but I was disappointed. Though it was still funny, it was also sad, almost bittersweet. I mean, in the final scene, Rachel was the most teary-eyed of all. I was thinking, is that really part of the script or was Jennifer Aniston that emotional because it was their last shoot ever?

But I found it amusing that there were allusions (for the lack of a better term) to past incidents in other seasons in the last two episodes. It’s as if they were bringing the whole show to full circle. Phoebe’s taxi, Ross and Rachel’s “break”, a chick and a duck. Monica even says that all of them has lived in that apartment one time or another. It was cute. Hehe.

So what do I plan to do every night now that I’m bereft of my Friends? Probably play The Sims and build houses similar to the apartments in the show. Crazy, huh?

No comments: