Tuesday, August 2

kadyot lang, dili ako kasabot

It was my first time in Cebu last week. My mother had to attend a seminar and I “volunteered” to come along. Cebu’s a cool place. Parang may sariling mundo! And they have their own international airport. If it weren’t for the Cebuano-speaking populace, I would think I was in Metro Manila already (Oops, baka magalit mga Cebuanos! Do forgive me. Manila is the only city comparable to Cebu. ). Pero less polluted and with less traffic jams than MM. And what really tickled me pink was they have not one, but two Starbucks! One in Ayala and another in SM City. Although we didn’t get to visit any because my mother and I were too busy window shopping.

The seminar ended earlier than expected so we had more time to visit other places. We went to the Cebu Cathedral and Sto. Nino Basilica. We also bought tikoy in La Fortuna bakeshop (it's located inside the gates of Sto. Nino Basilica, if you want to go there) and saw the Magellan’s Cross. The cross wasn’t so impressive and the surroundings were already dirty. Maybe they should try to develop it as a tourist destination or something.

We also went to the Taoist Temple and the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug. The temple was in a subdivision perched on a hill, so we had to climb very high stairs. And the hotel was so large and luxurious. I was about to say classy, but we did see some not-so-classy Pinays on the arms of foreigners. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. We also ate dinner at Golden Cowrie (also in Lahug) and I really recommend the place. They serve delicious food (especially the baked scallops and puso salad) at reasonable prices. And they have unlimited rice, too.

They have this Taoist stone thingamajigger in the temple, and I really wanted to try it. You know, two kidney-shaped stones you drop on the floor after asking the gods a question. They’re supposed to indicate yes, no or maybe. I have questions I’m burning to ask, but I’m too scared because I might not like the answer. Or maybe it would just give me false hopes. *sigh* But let’s not dwell on that.

Anyway, the place where we were staying reminded me so much of Quiapo and the University Belt. There were lots of churches and schools, and lots more people. The guard at our hotel told us that the area used to be very dangerous and crime rate was high. Ngayon, hinda na “very,” dangerous na lang.

But the hotel sucked. I wouldn’t recommend it. The water was weird and there were creepy crawlies in our room. The aircon in our rooms and the functions rooms seemed to be working fine, but it was so warm and stinky in the corridors. They really have a problem with cleanliness. It’s not exactly a dump, but it could be better. So if you’re visiting Cebu, don’t stay in Cebu Business Hotel in that hotel in Colon St. cor Junquera St.

We had lunch with Paolo and two of his friends. Thanks, Pao, for not blowing us off even if your boss told you to take somebody else to lunch. And thanks, Pao’s boss, for giving Pao extra money so he could treat us to lunch. :-)

By the way, Cebu is a PGMA country. Streamers saying “We support you, President Arroyo” were hung all over the city. Coolness. So if ever something bad happens, Gloria supporters could always go to Cebu and break away from the rest of the country. I’m just kidding, of course.

I just remembered what the chatty taxi driver told us. All that hullabaloo about jueteng and the Gloriagate scandal were brought about by FPJ’s “advisers” and cohorts. Sotto, et al were just upset because a woman (and a short one at that) beat them at their game of cheating. Makes sense, huh?

1 comment:

soul-seeker said...

Maganda yung Orange Plaza Hotel. I stayed there when I went to Cebu with my mom and my relatives in 2003. It's near Ayala and a church. Sobrang convenient ng location.

I like Cebu because it's not as congested as Manila. If I could get a good job there, I'd probably move there. Gusto ko rin maging fluent sa Bisaya.

Take care! (Ayo-ayo!)